Monday 13 February 2012

Heirloom Embroidery Cushion



Now, I have to admit that this technique is one of my very favourites.  I always use evenweave fabric when embroidering something like this: I think it gives a far nicer result than aida,  I also like the tone-on-tone effect - so subtle - yet really set off by the contrasting thread of the darker backstitch panels and centre motifs.


The design comprises quite a variety of stitches, including hardanger (cutwork) at the sides, and is embellished with beads and pearls.

Detail
This one belongs, again, to my daughter, Charis and, I believe, is one of her favourites.  Another one I made in slightly different colours now belongs to my good friend and neighbour, Sue.

Anyone recognising a theme here, yet?  No worry...I only ever give my stuff to people I know will really appreciate it. With love.

3 comments:

  1. WOW - Your cushion is very beautiful. Is it your own design?

    I have enjoyed my visit to your blog immensely and look forward to following your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Nicola. No, I can't claim to have designed it, sadly. However, I do think that once you get the hang of the different stitches/techniques, it shouldn't be that difficult to come up with something original oneself.

    ReplyDelete